We’ve collected some creative best practices, both basic and advanced, for better programmatic video creative.
Having trouble with your programmatic video ads? Don’t forget: running effective video ads has just as much to do with engaging creative as it does precision targeting. Crafting videos that both capture your message and capture the attention of your audience isn’t always easy, especially with the number of platforms that each have their own requirements. To help you navigate the process better, we’ve collected some creative best practices, both basic and advanced, that we’ve found to be effective!
- Important information to the front! Programmatic video is not television, your audience doesn’t have to stick around for your whole ad. In fact, you’re likely to see a drop-off in video advertisements within the first 2-3 seconds. These first few seconds make it the most important to structure your video with the most important information up front.
- Make your video understandable without sound. Not only does this make the advertisement more accessible to hard-of-hearing people, but the majority of Facebook (and Instagram) users actually view the platform without sound. Subtitles are a great move.
- By law, political video ads must include a “Paid for by” disclaimer in text on the video. This is for advertising compliance. Don’t try to hide the disclaimer or make it less noticeable, and always check with your lawyer for full legal compliance.
- Check the aspect ratio of your video. Is it primarily going to be viewed on a phone or computer?
- Determine ad length and structure by platform. What sort of video is your platform user likely to expect? For example, YouTube can run unskippable 6-second “bumper” ads, other platforms cannot. You don’t want to stand out by being a poor platform fit.
- Create content that is contextually relevant to your audience. This may be easier said than done, but in a world where you can skip ads after the first few seconds, no one is listening if it doesn’t feel like you are actually speaking to them. Combine this approach with great targeting and you have an incredibly effective advertisement.
- Try a more authentic feel. Studies show people respond better to content that has a raw and human element. So don’t worry so much about having huge production with all the bells and whistles you can afford – try something more authentic.